Jim Williams of Audio Upgrades recently discontinued his popular upgrade service for budget, Chinese-made condenser microphones. Cue DIY supplier Microphone Parts, who has stepped in with a series of kits that allow DIYers to perform these same mods at home. The kits, designed by Jim Williams himself, consist of circuit and component upgrades for the MXL990 and MCA SP-1 microphones.
Mod Kit Features:
- Kits include upgrade components and instruction booklet
- Kits available in “Basic” and “Advanced” versions
- Can be paired with Microphone Parts’ large-diaphragm capsules
- MXL 990 kits available in matched, stereo pairs
- Does not include MXL 990 / MCA SP-1 microphone
- $49 for Basic MXL 990 or MCA SP-1 kit
- $99 for Advanced kits
- $74.95 for Basic Stereo MXL 990 kit
- $149 for Advanced Stereo MXL 990 kit
Purchasing and More Info:
- Available from Microphone Parts
- Rhythm in Mind’s blog post detailing his experience with the kits, including sound samples.